Delaware Green Amendment Talking Points, FAQs & Info to Share
The Delaware Green Amendment will amend Article I of the Constitution to recognize and protect the rights of all of the people of Delaware “to a clean and healthy environment.” Use these top talking points as a starting place for educating others.
Here are some Delaware Green Amendment Points to Consider about how and why Delaware communities, environmental justice, property values and economy will be benefitted.
An Emmy Nominated Show
Here’s The Story, an Emmy nominated show that premiered in 2011 and is produced by acclaimed journalist Steve Rogers, is now featuring a two part show featuring the Green Amendment movement. The show joins Maya as she explores the history of the Green Amendment movement and meets with environmental, political and legal leaders key to the movements past, present and future. Among those interviewed is NJ Governor Phil Murphy, PA Senator Franklin Kury who originally conceived of the idea for PA, and the chief justice who wrote the iconic opinion that helped launch the movement.
You can watch the show, see Facebook live chats with some of the key players, and see the full interviews that were conducted as part of the show here: Here’s the Story: The Green Amendment.
Environmental Justice for Delaware
Environmental Justice concerns are a reality for too many Delaware communities. To help understand the challenges communities of color and low income communities face from being disproportionately targeted for high polluting and environmentally degrading activities here is a helpful study.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY – This report studies the health risks for seven communities located along an industrial corridor in the northern portion of Delaware’s New Castle County. These communities have higher percentages of people of color and/or higher poverty levels than the Delaware average. We found that people in the seven communities face a substantial cumulative health risk from exposure to toxic air pollution and their proximity to polluting industrial facilities, hazardous chemical facilities, and contaminated waste sites. These health risks are substantially greater in comparison to those of a predominantly White and affluent Delaware community as well as Delaware as a whole. Read more here.
Help Us Secure Green Amendment Protections in Delaware & Nationwide
Your donation today will help us do the work, provide the expertise, inspire supporters and take on the challengers so that every person and community in Delaware and nationwide can have a true RIGHT, that is enforceable, to a clean, safe & healthy environment.
Learn More Below
Factsheets and Materials
The Green Amendment Concept
- Constitutional Green Amendments: Making Environmental Justice A Reality | ABA Natural Resources & Environment
- How Green Amendments Protect Key Environmental Rights | Law 360
- The Green Amendment, Securing Our Rights to a Healthy Environment—The Book
- What is a Green Amendment
- Green Amendment Checklist: Essential Criteria for a Green Amendment
- Green Amendment Frequently Asked Questions & Their Answers
- Demanding and Defending Your Rights to Clean Air, Clean Water, & a Healthy Environment
- Green Amendments: Giving Constitutional Power to Environmental Justice
- ELI Dialogue: Green Amendments, a Veiled for Environmental Justice Panel Fall 2021
- How To Implement & Apply a Green Amendment
- Protections Offered with Trust Language in a Green Amendment
- Using Green Amendments to Strengthen Environmental Justice
- Benefits of a Constitutional Provision Protecting Environmental Rights
- Green Amendments, Properly Placed and Written, Are A Restraint On Governmental Authority - Article By Team of Attorneys that Successfully Argued PA Case
- The Green Amendment: An Idea Whose Time It Has Always Been, by Gerald J. Williams, Esq.
Webinars & Video Content
- Delaware Earth Day Green Amendment Rally (4/22/21)
- Socially Responsible Agriculture Project’s virtual summit on Agriculture, Engagement & Solutions
- The Impact of Pennsylvania Green Amendments on Decisionmaking in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania's Environmental Rights Amendment in Practice
- More video content available on Youtube
- Watch & Listen: press, podcast, & media content
Resources for Teachers/Educators
- Green Amendment Teacher Guide (Print | Screen)
- Student Guide and more available
- Virtual Canoe Race - Online educational adventure game that teaches Geography, History, and Science in a trivia contest format
- Article: How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change — & Why You Have To
How Green Amendments Are Making a Difference Where They Exist
Se puede explorar nuestras materiales aqui
- Que es un Enmienda Verde?
- Exigiendo y defendiendo tu derecho a agua limpia, aire limpio, y un ambiente saludable
- Enmienda Verde lista de control
- Como implementar y aplicar una enmienda verde
- Protecciones ofrecidas incorporando el lenguaje de un fideicomiso en la Enmienda Verde de un Estado
- Haciendo que la justicia ambiental sea una obligación real del gobierno
- Beneficios de una provisión constitucional protegiendo los derechos ambientales